I can sum up my feelings about the internet-video sensation The Harlem Shake in three simple words:
I loath it.
Internet users, we are going to have a heart to heart.
Stop Harlem Shaking. Stop sharing videos of the Harlem Shake. Stop watching the Harlem Shake. STOP.
Why? Here is an exhaustive and convincing list why:
- The only good Harlem Shake video is this one by the UGA swim team.
- The people of Harlem are outraged.
- You’re not even doing it right.
- On what planet is that dancing?
- It’s annoying.
- It’s obnoxious.
- I’m tired of seeing essentially the same video, just with different half-naked people all over my News Feed.
- And on that note, I’d rather not see half-naked people writhing all over my laptop screen. Do you people have no shame?
- The song isn’t even good.
- It’s dumb.
Luckily, the fad seems to have partially passed. People are no longer making Harlem Shake videos, but they’re still sharing them all over social media. Please. Stop.
One day, we’ll all look back on this phenomenon and laugh at ourselves for being so dumb and ridiculous. Or, more likely we’ll be embarrassed–especially if you’re one of the half-naked people whose half-naked body will forever be on the internet for colleagues and future employers to see.
De rien, Internet,